Consumer behavior in China and Russia: Comparative analysis
This article is a study of consumer behavior in China and Russia. The research studies scientific publications and consumer preferences in both countries. Comparative analysis shows that Russia and China, which are rapidly entering a new era of consumption, differ in the level of development of consumer behavior that is directly related to the level of development of digital technologies. Therefore, the impact of COVID-19, the development of digitalization, and the spread of Internet technologies have led to an improvement in diversified consumer preferences that contributed to a change in consumer behavior in China. Currently, there is an insufficient level of digitalization of society in Russia, which does not allow to fully interact with consumers and influence their
preferences. The authors also identify contemporary trends in consumer behavior worldwide. In addition, some factors that determine the choice of a certain type of consumer behavior are also identified: external factors, motivational factors, and functional factors. Based on the results of the study, a universal model of the influence of various factors on the behavior of Russian and Chinese consumers is formed and some recommendations are given to sellers during the COVID-19 period.
- Fromm, E. (1968). The Revolution of hope: Toward a humanized technology. Harper and Row.
- Goldman Sachs (2020). Understanding China's economic recovery path based on consumer behavior. https://www.goldmansachs.com/worldwide/greater-china/insights/china-consumption-andconsumer-behavior.html
- Golik, V. (2017). Realizaciya internet-marketinga kitajskimi kompaniyami. Nauka i Innovacii, 176, 37–39 (Implementation of internet marketing by Chinese companies. Science and Innovation, 176, 37–39).
- Jin Y., & Chen K. T. (2018). Capturing growth in China: New consumers. https://www.accenture.com/_acnmedia/PDF-9/Accenture-Capturing-Growth--China-New-Consumers-English.pdf
- Kent, W. (2012). DigiMarketing: The essential guide to new media and digital marketing. https://doi.org/10.1002/9781119207726
- Keynes, J. M. (1936). The general theory of employment, interest and money. Macmillan (reprinted 2007).
- Lannes, B. (2020). After five years of premiumization, Covid-19 delivers deflation in China FMCG.
- China Shopper Report. https://www.bain.com/insights/after-five-years-of-premiumizationcovid-19-delivers-deflation-in-china-fmcg/
- Lin, L., Long, J., & Mao, C. (2014). The digital lives of Chinese consumers (in Chinese). https://www.accenture.com/t20150523T022424__w__/ro-en/_acnmedia/Accenture/Conversion-Assets/DotCom/Documents/Global/PDF/Dualpub_1/Accenture-Digital-Lives-Chinese-Consumers.pdf
- Liu, Y. (2016). An empirical study of factors affecting the multichannel choice of consumers within the network economy. Doctoral Dissertation, University of International Business and Economics in Beijing China (in Chinese).
- Marshall, J. F., & Bansal, V. K. (1992). Financial engineering: A complete guide to financial innovation. Prentice Hall.
- Molchanov, N., Galai, N., & Yan, Z. (2019). Sravnitel'nyj analiz vospriyatiya instrumentov nejromarketinga pokupatelyami v Rossii i Kitae. Ekonomika i Upravlenie, 6(164), 58–68 (Comparative analysis of the perception of neuromarketing tools by buyers in Russia and China. Economics and Management, 6(164), 58–68). https://doi.org/10.35854/1998-1627-2019-6-58-68
- Napalkova, A. (2019). Otnosheniye kitayskikh i rossiyskikh potrebiteley k instrumentam mobilnogo marketinga. V Sbornike materialov III Mezhdunarodnoy nauchno-prakticheskoy konferentsii. Shkola ekonomiki i menedzhmenta. 2019 (S. 27–30) (Attitude of Chinese and Russian consumers to mobile marketing tools. In: Cross-border markets for goods and services: Research problems. Materials of the III International scientific and practical conference. School of Economics and Management (pp. 27–30)).
- Noskova, E., Zhang, Zh., & Khvorova, E. (2019). Vliyaniye kulturnykh tsennostey na povedeniye rossiyskikh i kitayskikh potrebiteley v sfere roznichnoy torgovli. V: Transgranichnyye rynki tovarov i uslug: Problemy issledovaniya. Sbornik materialov III Mezhdunarodnoy nauchno-prakticheskoy konferentsii. Shkola ekonomiki i menedzhmenta (S. 45–48) (The influence of cultural values on the behavior of Russian and Chinese consumers in the retail sector. In: Cross-border markets for goods and services: Research problems. Collection of materials of the III International scientific and practical conference. School of Economics and Management (pp. 45–48)).
- Prokhorov, A. (2013). Social networks: Psychology, sociology, business. http://compress.ru/article.aspx?id=23890
- Slutsky, E. (2011). Ekonomicheskiye i statisticheskiye proizvedeniya. Izbrannoye (Economic and statistical works. Selected works). EKSMO.
- Zao, Z. (2018). Mekhanizmy formirovaniya doveriya onlayn-potrebiteley v sfere elektronnoy roznichnoy torgovli na primere Kitaya i Rossii. Izvestiya Dalnevostochnogo Federalnogo Universiteta. Ekonomika i Upravleniye, 4(88), 72–91 (Mechanisms of building trust of online consumers in the field of electronic retail trade on the example of China and Russia. News of the Far Eastern Federal University. Economics and Management. 4(88), 72–91).
- Zhang, W. (2017). Research on consumer behavior and enterprise marketing strategy in network. Doctoral Dissertation, Lanzhou, Gansu Province (in Chinese).
- Zhao, I. (2017) Analysis of the results of the study of the preferences of Chinese and Russian consumers in the field of retail trade. Symbol of Science: An International Scientific Journal, 2(3), 176–180. https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/analiz-rezultatov-issledovaniya-predpochteniykitayskih-i-rossiyskih-potrebiteley-v-sfere-roznichnoy-torgovli
- Zhou, Z. (2018). Social'nye seti Kitaya: Problemy i resheniya. Mirovaya zhurnalistika: Edinstvo mnogoobraziya. Sbornik nauchnyh statej. T. 2. (S. 363–374) (Social networks in China: Problems and solutions. World Journalism: Unity of diversity. Collection of articles. Vol. 2. (pp. 363–374)). https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=35080809